Happy Claim
TELEPHONE: 01582 437 070
TEXT "CLAIM" to  07902 144 199

Personal Injury Enquiry Form
Our Clients

The quality of service you have offered has been excellent. Your staff have always been extremely courteous.

Mrs Jenkins

Motorbike accidents » Learning to ride

Learning to ride a motorbike can be quite a lengthy process and there are various tests and assessments to get through before you are a fully-fledged biker. There are also several types of bike and engine sizes to take into account, so whether your hoping to nip around town on a Vespa or hit the roads on a high powered Yamaha you will need to follow the rules of the road and take your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) and theory test.

Types of bike


A moped has an engine no larger than 50cc, weighs less than 250kg and goes no faster than 50kmph. If you have passed a standard driving test (before February 2001) you can ride a moped without L plates. You will however need to carry out your CBT, this has to be taken by everyone before they can ride a bike. It is detailed later.

Learner motorbikes

Any bike or scooter that has an engine up to 125cc and a power output of 11kW is regarded as a learner bike. At 17 you can move from moped to learner motorbike, you need a provisional motorcycle licence and the CBT. Riders under 21 must continue to ride a learner bike with L plates, whereas older riders may ride a larger bike with the instruction of a qualified instructor.

Standard sized motorbike

You must take a CBT and Theory Test to move on to a standard motorbike. Anyone under 21 can only pass on a category A bike (between 121-125cc and capable of 100kmph) and will be restricted to a bike up to 25kW with a power weight ratio not exceeding 0.16KkW/kg for two years. Once they reach 21 they can take an accelerated access course allowing them to ride any bike they wish, including the high-powered sports models.


The CBT is the course that teaches you how to ride a motorbike. It is a cover-all course which will show you how to start and stop your bike and how to turn. It begins with a classroom run-through and then proceeds to an off road location such as a car park where you will learn the basics. You will be tested on control of the bike, confidence, road awareness, and safety.

Theory test

You will also need to take a theory test to be able to ride a motorbike. This applies to everyone and must be taken by car drivers and bikers alike. It is designed to reflect the dangers that are faced by motorcyclists. You will be tested on observation and your knowledge of the rules of the road.

Direct Access Scheme

Anyone who is 21 or over can take a Direct Access Scheme (DAS) which means that they can ride any bike. This is designed for people who havent ridden before and who want to start on bigger bikes straight away. You will still need to take the CBT and the Theory Test. After you have completed this stage you can move on to a larger bike and take your DAS course. This course will take a few days and can be fairly intensive. It will begin with off road training, much like the CBT and will show you the ropes, from controlling the bike to manoeuvring. The test itself takes from 20-60 minutes depending on the weather and your performance.

For more information have a look at DVLA and DVLA and Motorcycle Riders

Motorcycle accidents

Once you pass your test and are allowed to take to the road you will be at the mercy of other road users from day one. If you are involved in a road traffic accident that someone else caused then you are entitled to make a personal injury claim. We can help you to do this and will give you free legal advice no matter what your circumstances. Working on a No Win No Fee basis our solicitors guarantee that you will receive maximum compensation if you win.

Call us now on 01582 437070 for free information about being involved in a motorcycle accident. If you prefer you can fill in our online claim form or have us call us back.