Happy Claim
TELEPHONE: 01582 437 070
TEXT "CLAIM" to  07902 144 199

Personal Injury Enquiry Form
Our Clients

Your service was excellent. I will most certainly recommend your firm.

Mrs Mulligan

Industrial deafness » Hearing aids and deafness

Unfortunately, there is no cure or treatment that can reverse the effects of industrial deafness. This is because damaged hair cells in the ear do not re-grow or replenish in any way. However, hearing aids can offer a great deal to those with this kind of hearing loss, even those whose hearing loss is more severe. They do not offer absolutely perfect hearing but can make a dramatic difference for those with industrial deafness.

How hearing aids work

At the most basic level, hearing aids pick up the sound that is entering the ear, make it louder, then release the signal into the ear to carry on its normal path.

Hearing aids are available with two types of technology: analogue and digital. An analogue hearing aid will pick up the noise, translate it into an electrical signal, amplify it, and then feed it out into the ear.

Some analogue hearing aids can detect whether sounds are loud or quiet and therefore whether they need amplifying or not. This means that it will recognise that loud sounds, such as traffic, do not need further amplification, and will leave it at its current level. This feature is known as Automatic Gain Control.

A digital hearing aid, on the other hand, will translate the noise into data that a small computer in the hearing aid can read. It will then release the noise at the appropriate level into your ear.

Digital hearing aids are much more advanced than analogue aids and can be adapted to work to your particular degree of industrial deafness. They can also have a number of pre-set programs which can be used in different situations, such as quiet situations, concerts, and at parties where numerous voices are speaking at once.

Types of hearing aids

There are a number of different designs of hearing aid that can be beneficial to people with industrial deafness.

Behind-the-ear (BTE) hearing aids

Behind-the-ear (BTE) hearing aids have a small case that encloses the hearing aid, which sits behind the ear. A plastic tube connects this case to a custom-made earmould that is inside the ear. Generally used for people with mild to moderate hearing loss, this is the most common type of hearing aid that is provided on the NHS.

Recent innovations have given BTE hearing aids the capability to be more discrete. Thinner, see-through tubes connect the case (which is also smaller) to the earmould. These are known as either open-fit or over-the-ear hearing aids. These can be particularly effective for people with minor or high frequency hearing loss.

\"\\"\\\\\\"\"In-the-ear (ITE) hearing aids

In-the-ear (ITE) hearing aids generally sit in the bottom half of the external ear and inside the ear. They are less noticeable than BTE hearing aids, but can still be seen. However, some of the smallest hearing aids are in-the-canal (ITC) aids, which are barely visible at all. Unfortunately they are not ideal for those with good low frequency hearing, as the sound of the wearers voice can resonate in the head due to the fact that the hearing aid blocks the ear.

These are the main types of hearing aid used for those with industrial deafness. However, there are other variations on these appliances which may be employed if they better suit the type of hearing loss that you have experienced.

Find out more about hearing aids at http://www.rnid.org.uk

Claiming for industrial deafness

We may well be able to help you if have experienced noise-induced hearing loss as a result of your working environment and you believe you are entitled to compensation. Each year our panel of personal injury solicitors help many people with industrial deafness to get the compensation they deserve - all without charging our customers a penny.

If you would like to learn more about making a no win, no fee claim for industrial deafness compensation, please call 01582 437070 or complete our online claim form for further assistance.