Happy Claim
TELEPHONE: 01582 437 070
TEXT "CLAIM" to  07902 144 199

Personal Injury Enquiry Form
Our Clients

Your service was excellent. I will most certainly recommend your firm.

Mrs Mulligan

Work Accidents » Accidents at work and RIDDOR

If there has been an accident at work in your workplace which has resulted in an over-three-day injury to an employee or one that requires hospital treatment to a member of the public, your employer has a legal duty to report it.

This legal requirement is outlined in The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR). The body that the employer must report these accidents at work to is called the Incident Contact Centre of the Health and Safety Executive. In Northern Ireland, the requirement is the same, however all work accidents must be reported to is called the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland.

Death, serious personal injury or injury to a member of the public

If an accident at work occurs in which a person suffers a major injury, over-three-day injury, or if a member of the public is hospitalised or someone is killed, then the employer must telephone the relevant authority as soon as possible. Furthermore, employers have a legal requirement to fill out an accident report form (known as an F2508); this must be done within ten days.

Here is a non-exhaustive list of reportable major injuries:

  • Amputation.
  • Loss of sight.
  • Fractures (other than to fingers or toes)
  • Unconsciousness
  • Injury to eye.

Where there has been a dangerous occurrence

Even in cases where there has been a workplace accident which has not caused any serious personal injury, if it had the potential to do so, it must be reported.

Once again, employers have a duty to notify the relevant authorities by telephone at the earliest available opportunity as well as to fill out an F2508.

Examples of reportable dangerous occurrences:

  • Electrical short circuit causing fire or explosion.
  • Accidental release of biological agent.
  • Unintended explosion.
  • Failure of load-bearing fairground equipment.
  • Malfunction of breathing apparatus.
  • A full of list of events considered to be dangerous occurrences is available from the Health and Safety Executive in information pack HSE 31.

Reporting work-related diseases

Employers also have a duty to report any work-related diseases. These include:

  • Most skin diseases
  • Lung diseases such as asbestosis, mesothelioma, farmers lung, pneumoconiosis.
  • Occupational cancer.
  • Decompression illness.
  • Vibration White Finger
  • Poisonings.
  • Infections, including hepatitis, tuberculosis, tetanus, leionellosis, leptospirosis and anthrax.

Once again, a full list of reportable diseases is available from HSE 31.

Keeping records

It is also essential that employers keep records of all reportable injuries, illnesses and dangerous occurrences.

These records should include precise details of the time of the work accident, personal information about those involved and a summary of the accident at work itself.

Records can be kept in several ways such as handwritten files, computer files or in a work accident log.

Making a no win, no fee accident at work claim

Here at HappyClaim we have years of experience in helping people injured in work accidents successfully claim the compensation they deserve.

At HappyClaim we will always handle your accident at work claim expediently and sensitively, our no win, no fee solicitors are among the best in the UK and will represent you.